Poll: What should Toyota do for the FT-1's engine? - Supra FT1 Forum
View Poll Results: How should Toyota go about with FT-1's drivetrain?
Outsource the motor to BMW. 2 16.67%
Built it themselves with Yamaha! 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 26 Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poll: What should Toyota do for the FT-1's engine?

The engine under the transparent hood appears to be a straight six, no? If that is the case what should they do? Lease BMW's I6 or build their own I6 with Yamaha? And be sure to vote in the poll.

post #2 of 26 Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Build it themselves with Yamaha. Look what they did with the LFA, they can at least make this the poor mans LFA
post #3 of 26 Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
id like it to come with any i6

if it does come with the bmw i6 at least change the head so it doesnt sound exactly the same as the bmw i6..

post #4 of 26 Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 AM

Who gives a c*** about BMW? Toyota is more than capable at building new Supra engine. High Revving 4.8L V10 tuned by Yamaha is known is an art. The 5.0L V8 Twin Turbo in LS Supercar Prototype is also a very capable engine. Toyota doesn't need BMW in building a high performance car engine.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

^Yes we all know about the LFA's V10 and turbo V8 LS. But we are talking about an inline six for a production FT-1. Even MotorTrend's video with FT-1's design team brought up the fact that BMW is currently the only automaker still making the straight six. Yes, Toyota has the resource to make their own engine for FT-1. The question is will they?
post #6 of 26 Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 PM
MKV

A 5.0 V8 TT engine would be awesome in this beast but I doubt they will make it happen. Likely it will just be in the LS-F and maybe the next Lexus SC.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

^Yup, would be nice to see tho. But most likely won't happen with the hinted $50k-$60k price range.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It comes down to cost. Sure it could be done with Yamaha but at what price? and is that price less than it would cost to get the I6's from BMW? I can guarantee you its cheaper for them to borrow from BMW than it is to build from the ground up. Especially when they are trading tech in a mutually beneficial agreement.

But I think there is a third option to consider, Toyota borrows the bottom end, and do their own head, intake and exhaust manifold work with Yamaha to give it unique characteristics...
post #9 of 26 Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

True, it would just be cheaper to lease from BMW. But like other have pointed out, a new engine was developed for the LFA (and 86/FR-S?).
post #10 of 26 Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
MKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
It comes down to cost. Sure it could be done with Yamaha but at what price? and is that price less than it would cost to get the I6's from BMW? I can guarantee you its cheaper for them to borrow from BMW than it is to build from the ground up. Especially when they are trading tech in a mutually beneficial agreement.

But I think there is a third option to consider, Toyota borrows the bottom end, and do their own head, intake and exhaust manifold work with Yamaha to give it unique characteristics...
Good point.
That being the case maybe they should make it part of some high trim. Like say a TRD Supra?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page