MKV Supra 2.0T - Supra FT1 Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
MKV Supra 2.0T

I know we`re all hung up on getting Corvette performance out of the Supra, but I dont want to talk about that anymore. Im beginning to get curious about the potential of multiple powertrains for the Supra.

This was noted shortly after the FT-1 made its debut at NAIAS:

Quote:
Two powertrains are reportedly under consideration: a standalone 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine from the upcoming Lexus NX compact crossover and a hybrid system based around a 2.5-liter turbocharged V6. The latter could produce as much as 400 horsepower.

So the next Supra has the potential to not only be good looking, but green as well.
We can argue all we want about hybrid vs non-hybrid, but I want to talk about that 2.0T. The NX broke cover late last week and we`re just starting to see details trickle in. Toyota is on record claiming their new 2.0T would equal the torque figure of their 3.5L V6, so assume 277 lb-ft. As for the power end of things, the NX rivals are all clustered in the 220-240 hp range, with LExus saying the 2.0T will put out well north of 200 hp.

I assume with the right tuning and gearing we could see the Supra with a 2.0T putting out at least 250 hp and 250 lb-ft (torque not as relevant in a super light car)...

Now before you tell me to GTFO consider that the MKIV was offered with a natural 2JZ kicking out 220 hp and 210 lb-fts. So there is precedent...
mk3motley likes this.
post #2 of 42 Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've read that article when it came out and has always been on my mind what if Toyota does come out with these 2 power trains what power are we expecting to see out of the 2.0 NX engine. 240 HP? even if it's a light car does not make this a 50-60k vehicle not to me at least. I can respect if this is what they decide to come out with and would still be interested if they price it right. But I don't see Supra being the name of the vehicle. See associating the name Supra - everyone will expect what we have seen from the MKIV. Its been 12+ yrs since the MKIV and your bring the Supra back with a slight bump in HP. I don't see it, maybe if they name this FT-1 or something else.

But if it keeps the Supra name plate I just expect more especially for the target price of 50-60k.
post #3 of 42 Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
I've read that article when it came out and has always been on my mind what if Toyota does come out with these 2 power trains what power are we expecting to see out of the 2.0 NX engine. 240 HP? even if it's a light car does not make this a 50-60k vehicle not to me at least. I can respect if this is what they decide to come out with and would still be interested if they price it right. But I don't see Supra being the name of the vehicle. See associating the name Supra - everyone will expect what we have seen from the MKIV. Its been 12+ yrs since the MKIV and your bring the Supra back with a slight bump in HP. I don't see it, maybe if they name this FT-1 or something else.

But if it keeps the Supra name plate I just expect more especially for the target price of 50-60k.
See I was thinking more in terms of the 2.0T (or whatever) being an entry level model. They could advertise it with a 2.0T at say $35-40K and then when you bump up to the premium powertrain you get into the $50-60's...

post #4 of 42 Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
I completely agree with the stated above. Although if it under delivers (in my opinion i.e. engine stated above), and is named the Supra, it'll sure make mine and several others MK4 increase in price. Even though it won't be what I really want (a powerful MK5), at least the name will continue. Which some may argue that is more important.

95 MKIV 6 Spd Hardtop - S375r - ID2000 - E-85 - 1012rwhp

95 M3 LS1/T56 - Custom Headers - Dual Exhaust - Cam - Heads - Fast Intake - Big Brakes - Time Attack
post #5 of 42 Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
At the end of the day they just need to make sure it lives up to the name, hopefully doing this as good as nissan did with the GT-R.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if its a 2.0T it better be under 40k.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3motley View Post
I completely agree with the stated above. Although if it under delivers (in my opinion i.e. engine stated above), and is named the Supra, it'll sure make mine and several others MK4 increase in price. Even though it won't be what I really want (a powerful MK5), at least the name will continue. Which some may argue that is more important.
I'm positive if there is a 2.0T option it will be far from the be all end all. Almost similar to Camaro/Mustang even Genesis Coupe, options widen te scope of potential buyers. Widening the scope brings down manufacturing costs, the volume supports the niche..
post #8 of 42 Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

it'll have to honestly be cheap for it to sell
like you said.. mustang 2.0T

genesis coupe 2.0T

they would be entering one competitive segment thats for sure.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think the 2.0T also comes in an R-Spec model which performs better too, something to look out for
post #10 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM

the 2.0T could also go after CLA 45 AMG sales

OR

WRX STi sales.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page