Toyota's new LED Array Lighting System - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Toyota's new LED Array Lighting System

Headlights are a tricky thing to develop as you want to illuminate as much of the road as possible without blinding oncoming drivers. Toyota has developed a system that that balances these two factors.

Toyota's new LED Array Adaptive High Beam System uses multiple independently controlled LEDs arranged in a single horizontal line to give a wide range of illumination. A front view camera monitors the road and can dim or brighten each LED light allowing for gaps in the illuminated area.

The system not only adapts to oncoming and preceding vehicles, it also will adapt to circumstances such as a wide beam for slow urban driving and a long, narrower beam for highway driving.

Maybe we will get to see this on the Supra, but regardless it will be making an appearance in Toyota vehicles in 2015.
post #2 of 14 Old 11-26-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
This is a really cool lighting system.
Good to see they're finally catching on to tech like this..
post #3 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Yea this seems like it is slightly past due. Especially if it actually makes things safer. They better roll out a feature like this pretty quick across the full lineup.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2014, 04:23 PM

I wouldn't say past due but more like right timing.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Overall it's just cool to see how technology is improving in cars overall. Which this is a cool feature that hopefully comes standard on all their cars.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-29-2014, 10:56 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
Overall it's just cool to see how technology is improving in cars overall. Which this is a cool feature that hopefully comes standard on all their cars.
That it is.
I'm just glad to see more and more projector headlight systems on vehicles from the factory rather than them still coming with just a halogen blub. Kind of like car makers that still use drum brakes on passenger cars.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-01-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I think its one thing when technology is just for comfort or performance, but when it is a matter of safety I think that technology needs to be rolled out across as many vehicles as possible as quickly as possible. Generally, I think people shouldn't have to pay to be safe.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
I think its one thing when technology is just for comfort or performance, but when it is a matter of safety I think that technology needs to be rolled out across as many vehicles as possible as quickly as possible. Generally, I think people shouldn't have to pay to be safe.
why shouldn't people have to pay to be safe?
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
why shouldn't people have to pay to be safe?
I think that the government has an interest in having people drive safe cars. Car companies have that interest too. I suppose it does come down to how much government intervention you think is reasonable to ensure that people are driving the safest vehicles. The other question is what level of safety is something that should be mandated, and what level of safety should be considered a luxury?
post #10 of 14 Old 12-04-2014, 03:03 PM

That interest only goes so far, which is minimal, just look at what is required of vehicles to past government safety regulations and requirements. Anything more you should have no right to and pay for if you want it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page