A $70,000 Toyota... - Supra FT1 Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 83 Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A $70,000 Toyota: Supra vs Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati, BMW, MB, Audi, Corvette, Shelby

So we know the price range bandied about for the Supra to date has been $50-70,000 USD. However I am quickly developing the opinion that the current market has no stomach for a $50-70,000 Toyota.

Now before someone gets all uppity I've gone through Toyotas current lineup and picked out what expensive and then compared it with its sales data. So the Land Cruiser MSRP's for $79K, indeed and they sold 3000 of them last year. You may consider that proof enough that I'm cracked but then you need to consider that the Land Cruiser has far more usable capability than Supra ever could. Family of Five or Six in the Supra, sure if they're mice, I dare you to tow a boat with Supra too. You can see where this is going. Sequoia falls into a similar boat albeit at a lower price point of $44K, you can push the Avalon to those levels as well. Now consider how often you see a loaded Avalon or Sequoia. Again though we come back to the same conclusion, the Sequoia and Avalon both have multiple practical applications that allows few people to stomach a $50K Toyota.

Now lets leave the realm of practicality, quickly you may notice that leaving practicality behind purchases are driven by image and emotions. $50-70,000 can sure buy a whole lot of image and even more emotions. In that realm Supra would be put smack dab in the middle of brand war and unfortunately they've only brought a gun to a missile fight. I'm not talking about the car as a car I'm talking about the brand as a representative of the car.

Let me flush this out with some concrete evidence and you should be able to see what I mean.

Porsche Boxster: $58,600
Porsche Boxster S: $72,200
Porsche Boxter GTS: $72,200

Porshce Cayman: $59,900
Porsche Cayman S: $72,900
Porsche Cayman GTS: $85,800

Maserati Ghibli: $66,900
Maserati Ghibli S Q4: $76,900

Audi S5: $52,000
Audi RS5: $69,600

BMW M4 Coupe: $64,200

Mercedes CLS: $72,100
E Class Coupe: $52,200
C63 AMG: $62,750

Jaguar F Type: $65,000
Jaguar F Type S: $77,000

Shelby GT500: $55,110

Corvette C7: $53,000
Camaro Z/28: $75,000

All I'm saying is that Toyota needs to be properly careful here, Toyota is a brand out of place among the luxury behemoths that offer a far better image proposition, a better luxury experience and above all equal or better build quality. I mean Toyota vs Porsche, exactly it sounds funny as if it takes significant gall to even ask the question. Then there are the staples of Americana the Corvette, the Shelby and the Z/28. I believe the Corvette is the biggest threat, thats what Supra wants to be when it grows up, which is great but its going to take something beyond ridiculous to knock the Corvette from its pedestal as king of the budget sports cars.

You can disagree with me, as I'm sure most of you will, but that doesn't change the fact that a Toyota is out of place among the company listed above, the world is not ready for a $70,000 Toyota, at least not when there's a Porsche right next door. Basically the point I'm trying to get across is that the only way Toyota can command those type of prices for the Supra/FT-1 is if they bring forward superior technology. No one is interested in a V6 TT Toyota for $70K, but if you offered people a hardcore performance hybrid, especially in the light of F1 and Prototype racing all heavily focused on Hybrid technology. I plan to flush out the performance Hybrid angle more shortly. Man wants advancement and technology, thats the reason we're fascinated with automobiles in the first place, but to get past the brand limitations Toyota needs to offer technological, cutting edge value to even be considered.
toyotaft1admin likes this.

Last edited by Josef K; 04-02-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #2 of 83 Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the Corvette C7 is the real bargain here. They will have to price the Supra around there. Unless the Supra is either 1. More comfort and luxury or 2. faster
post #3 of 83 Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Plus people can buy a used vette in new condition if they really want to save even more, but we still have to wait and see how good the supra is.

post #4 of 83 Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^ I agree...Right now the Corvette C7 is the best bang for your buck. If Toyota prices the FT-1 for the same price or higher and its not close to what the Corvette offers, I think it will turn away a lot of interested buyers including myself. Personally I think it should be close to what the Corvette C7 offers at a reasonable Toyota price.

As long as they price it right for what they will offer it should be successful.
post #5 of 83 Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the C7 is the only thing the FT-1 has to worry about. Everything else on the list is a luxury sport sedan or coupe. Kinda comparing apples to oranges if you ask me.

Porsche really? The Boxster and Cayman comes with 265hp-330hp.
Yogi likes this.
post #6 of 83 Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

The Supra should really be the japanese corvette.
post #7 of 83 Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I think that the Supra could be priced the same as the Corvette and fit in with the bunch. As long as Toyota makes the Supra so that it gives plenty of performance for a lower price than something from BMW, for example, the Supra will sell.
post #8 of 83 Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 PM

calty designs who designed this ft1 concept wants to keep the ft1 affordable

but that is the design company

its a hit or miss if toyota will decide if this car is affordable or not

but seeing how most of toyotas cars are reasonably priced.. i think we should see a good price

now if this was badged as a LEXUS

that would be a different story
post #9 of 83 Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its been posted so many time. Not a official price tag, but a good hint.

Quote:
Nonetheless, the starting point for the FT-1 was a theoretical car with a real-world price tag between $50,000 and $60,000, said Kevin Hunter, president of the Calty Design Research studio in Newport Beach, Calif., where the car was designed.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...re-sports-car#
post #10 of 83 Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Good info, if they can actually keep it within the 50-60k price range that will be awesome and because it's said to share a platform with a future BMW coupe this should allow them to add even more value to the car, i hope

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page