More Hybrid FT-1 Signals? - Supra FT1 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
More Hybrid FT-1 Signals?

Bloomberg provided the 'story' we'll fill in the gaps. A relative fluff piece that confirms yet again the two companies are working on something, together, somewhere. Cool story right.

While the analysis is vapid there are dots hiding between the lines looking for a connection. For example lets start here:

Quote:
Toyota, the world’s largest automaker, needs sports cars “to put that energy back into the brand,” Europe Executive Vice President Karl Schlicht said last month at the Paris Motor Show when asked about the cooperation with BMW, which this year started selling the racy $135,700 i8 plug-in hybrid.

In January, Toyota showed the FT-1 coupe concept at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The company said the rear-wheel-drive sports car’s design drew from past models including the Supra, 2000GT and Celica.

In addition to the sports car, Toyota and the world’s biggest maker of luxury vehicles are cooperating on research into fuel cells, lightweight technology and lithium-air batteries. The two companies agreed to work together on lithium-ion batteries in 2012. Both companies declined to comment further on the new sports cars.
Coincidence that this all appears in succession, coincidence that research and sports car are sold as separate projects not once but twice? That's purposeful misdirection if you ask me.

Primary reports on BMW's side of the garage are pointing to a Z4 successor to share its architecture with the FT-1 Supra. Do you know what the primary reports are pointing to, hybrid technology. Early stories say that BMW will provide the 2.0T ICE and Toyota will bring super capacitor hybrid technology.

Quote:
The conventional engine will be paired with Toyota’s latest ‘super conductor hybrid’ technology, making the flagship sports car a plug-in hybrid delivering upwards of 260kW. This car incorporates a motor-generator mounted on the front axle, along with one in the rear. The two units scavenge energy by applying braking force during deceleration to generate current that it sends to a super-capacitor.

The super-capacitor then reverses that flow of power during acceleration, boosting the performance of the internal combustion engine’s power delivery.

The electric motors will be designed by Toyota but built by BMW, and both cars have a target weight of less than 1400kg.
Interestingly the BMW side is claiming both projects will hit showrooms for 2017...

Last edited by toyotaft1admin; 11-07-2014 at 01:29 PM.
post #2 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
So basically you are saying that we are going to get a hybrid Supra? That makes sense to me since BMW has been investing really heavily in hybrid plug-in tech. That would be the technology I would be interested in if I were Toyota.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind a hybrid supra.
I have seen the potential of hybrid systems when it comes to performance in vehicles like the P1, while that is extreme, it's a good example.

Too many people think eco-box Prius performance when it comes to hybrid.
Josef K likes this.

post #4 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
I wouldn't mind a hybrid supra.
I have seen the potential of hybrid systems when it comes to performance in vehicles like the P1, while that is extreme, it's a good example.

Too many people think eco-box Prius performance when it comes to hybrid.
Agreed. Formula One and WEC beg to differ with that outdated sentiment!
post #5 of 32 Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

oh and a render from the BMW side...

post #6 of 32 Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
That is an amazing rendering, if they can come up with something that looks along the lines of that, looks alone will be a good reason for buying.
post #7 of 32 Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am actually not such a fan of this BMW render. Something about it makes it look forced. Like the front is a bmw but the middle and back is some other company. I'm sure the real deal will make much more sense to me.
post #8 of 32 Old 11-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
I am actually not such a fan of this BMW render. Something about it makes it look forced. Like the front is a bmw but the middle and back is some other company. I'm sure the real deal will make much more sense to me.
i agree

fortunately it's just a rendering and not the real deal.
can't wait to see what it will actually look like when some industry designers get to put this all on paper and digital.
post #9 of 32 Old 11-12-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

too add, Lexus Europe had this to say today

Quote:
The next big discussion will be about particulates. CO2 is not behind us, but we have to go to 99g/km by 2020. So, diesel has been growing because that CO2 average is easier to achieve with diesel. But the cost of purifying a diesel car is going to rise, so in the future, these engines are going to cost a lot more… For us, [petrol] hybrid is the answer.
Keep in mind hes not saying its Diesel vs Hybrid, what he's saying is that in order to be compliant petrol hybrid is the way to go. Considering sport models often deliver huge blows to average economy numbers, hybridizing one of the largest detractors could be useful...
post #10 of 32 Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 PM

It sure is the way to go, great for now and a long time to come. Now with the current gas prices which have been coming down a bit and then the current state of the Hybrid/EV vehicle world .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page