2018 Supra Expectations - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2018 Supra Expectations

Gazoo Racing Supra?

If you need any indication Gazoo Racing is serious about road cars, look no further than the all-new Yaris GRMN set to launch at this years Geneva show. Of course it doesn't stop their, Gazoo Racing Boss Koei Saga wants to fulfill his dream of a halo hybrid model, and his team is reportedly working on a road focused hybrid system. Could it be the Supra?

Quote:
Toyota could launch the new Supra sports car under their Gazoo Racing motorsport sub-brand as the company is trying to turn Gazoo into a performance division for road cars. If this is true, the Supra will Gazoo’s halo model.

Although the boss of Gazoo Racing, Koei Saga, has not outright stated what the brand’s range topping model will be, he has mentioned to Autocar that working on a halo Supra hybrid is a “dream” of his. In fact, he has suggested that the road car team is already making use of Gazoo Racing’s hybrid powertrain technology.

Saga has previously shared his intent to increase Gazoo’s presence in road car markets outside of Japan and he emphasized the importance of hybrid powertrains. Their first production model will be a hot Yaris hatchback and it is set to debut at the upcoming Geneva motor show in March. Powering the hatchback could be a 210bhp, 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine but it’s not exactly the hybrid Saga is hoping for.

He did say more hybrid Gazoo-badged models could be on Toyota's roadmap of future products and he’ll be hard pressed to find a better model to kick off the hybrid lineup than the new Supra.

We’re expecting to see the new Supra on showroom floors in 2018, but whether it’ll be called the Gazoo Supra or Toyota Supra Gazoo is still unknown.

Unveiled In October

If you have been following the last few rounds of spy shots and seen the differences take place, you might know at this point we're getting much closer to see a pre-production model reveal this year. Hopefully before its expected Tokyo Auto Show reveal we'll get one last and final look from spy photographers.

Quote:
Held from the end of October to November each year, the Tokyo Motor Show normally sees more concept cars than production ones and this year will be no different. For 2017, Toyota plans to debut the Supra concept model at the Tokyo show alongside the S-FR and Corolla GTI concepts.

Car And Driver found the debut date in Japanese publication Best Car, and claims that the new Supra will take design elements from the FT-1 concept that was unveiled back in 2014. As seen from the above rendering of what the Supra concept could look like, its styling hints strongly of the FT-1, especially that hood which curves into a beak. Perhaps the A-pillars will remain pulled back for better vision when going into corners.

Toyota’s headquarters in Toyota City will collaborate with the company’s California Calty studio to produce the final Supra design, but it’ll used the rear-wheel-drive platform co-developed with BMW.

We still have no word about its powertrain however, it is speculated to be initially released with two turbo options and a hybrid variant later on. The base model may be powered by a 255 hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four and one step up could be a 340-hp turbo 3.0-liter V-6 engine paired with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Later down the line, Toyota may release a 2.5-liter hybrid version a year after the Supra’s launch.

Officially open to the public on October 27th, we may see the Supra debut before then on press day.

True To FT-1 Design DNA

The typical trend with Toyota/Lexus is to reveal concepts that stay true to their production versions, more than what you might see from other car makers. The MKV Supra is shaping up to be no different as you might have noticed by now. If not, see this photo comparison.

Quote:
Spy shots have emerged again of the 2018 Toyota Supra, except this time, we get a better look at what the production body will look like. Before there was definitely some misleading panels, ie. tailights, that were implemented to throw everyone off, but now, it's much more cleaned up.

The big thing is, it obviously doesn't look like the FT1 concept did. However, they're are remnants of the FT1 thrown around certain areas if you look close enough.

In the following pictures, I've highlighted the areas that I found look very similar to the FT1 concept on the Supra spy shots which leads me to believe this is definitely the Supra. I think these features will be the key things that will stand out and show the relation between the two Toyota pieces of art.

--- Click for photo comparison ---

Hybrid Power

Toyota working on a performance hybrid powertrain currently and while there's no confirmation of it going into the Supra (yet), combining this with what Gazoo Racing CEO said in the first point above, there are few models in Toyota's not too distant future appropriate for this application.

Quote:
Nothing has been confirmed yet but, rumor has it that the next generation Toyota Supra may be sporting a turbocharged hybrid powerplant.

According to a Dutch automotive news site called AutoRAI, the next-gen Supra’s top end trim is said to be powered by a performance-focused hybrid drivetrain. If that is true, maybe the more affordable models will house a 400 horsepower V6 engine that is code named 943F and its twin turbochargers are able to push out 300 pound-feet of torque.

This was gathered from an interview that Toyota’s vice president and director of business operations Rob Leupen had with AutoRAI. He didn’t specifically say that the powertrain will make an appearance in the Supra but he did confirm the powertrain’s development process. It usually takes around three to five years for an engine to reach production so we still have a while to wait.

Developed under the Toyota BMW partnership, the new Supra will share its basic platform with the BMW Z4 but, the Z4 will come with in house turbocharged four and six cylinder engines instead of Toyota's new six-cylinder engine.

Of course, this is all based on rumors and we won’t be getting confirmation from Toyota anytime soon since the next Supra is tentatively scheduled to debut on 2019.

Last edited by toyotaft1admin; 02-24-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #2 of 10 Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
An affordable Supra with 400hp and 300lb-ft of torque would be ridiculously ideal. Sales of the 86 will decline if the price isn't too far off. Everyone wanted something boosted from Toyota and the 86 didn't really deliver. Don't get me wrong, it was still very popular and a great drivers car, but it didn't satisfy and fill the void.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7M-GTE View Post
An affordable Supra with 400hp and 300lb-ft of torque would be ridiculously ideal. Sales of the 86 will decline if the price isn't too far off. Everyone wanted something boosted from Toyota and the 86 didn't really deliver. Don't get me wrong, it was still very popular and a great drivers car, but it didn't satisfy and fill the void.
I heard that apparently Toyota wants to put the 86 on a smaller platform as part of them further refining the model. It didn't get the volume of sales they wanted, as a result, these changes are due.

If true, it will have the Supra positioned well in the brands line up, if not they still have room for slotting in the Supra without taking anything away from the 86.

My guess is this could have a starting price of a higher spec'd 370z

post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If anything .... Toyota wants 86 owners to graduate to the Supra. Right now .... there is no where to go from the 86 in the Toyota fleet.

I'm guessing the Supra should be in the 50-60K arena. The 86 is half that. I don't see any future cannibalizing occurring.

The Supra will be a serious car at 400 plus hp. Anything less means we'll have the same power discussions as the 86. i.e minivans and German sedans (my A7 has 333hp). IMO sport cars should be canyon carvers AND have straight line speed. The 86 lacks power. Lets not have the same issue with the Supra.

The Supra at 50-60K will have plenty of buyers. Higher than 60K ..... it better be pretty special. Higher than 70K .... nope.

Current: 2016 A7

post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 11:02 AM

A base price of $45-$50 seems like it'll be ideal. Give them room for a TRD edition to slot a little above it perhaps and the various editions I'm sure they'll produce much like they did with the 86s.

Now another question, do you think they'll pair up with 5AD again?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 PM
MKV

Now i heard they have plans to bring back the MR2 or something along the lines of that, so when it comes to pricing that's another model to factor in.

On another note this might play into the 86 downsizing and the MR2 coming in to act as a better model to fill that spot. maybe this time around they can s*** on the Miata/124 spider.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As much as I hate to admit it, they did a pretty good job on the Miata. That retractable targa makes it look pretty darn nice. BUT if the MR2 comes to combat that, I'll be pretty interested. Of course my primary interests lie in the Supra but who says you can't have two toys?

The MR2 will be some good time away though, which at that point the Miata will go through some revisions possibly in anticipation of it's arrival.

I have been long awaiting this..
Garage: '13 Subaru Brz
post #8 of 10 Old 03-15-2017, 03:17 PM

They're saying the MR2 will look like the S-FR concept... and I pray it doesn't. That thing was straight hideous.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 03:27 PM
MKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7M-GTE View Post
They're saying the MR2 will look like the S-FR concept... and I pray it doesn't. That thing was straight hideous.

Compared to the last MR2 we got, this isn't so bad. That concept was designed a while ago, so who knows, now with the supra coming out we could see more Supra DNA in its design.

Lucky for Toyota, the recipe of a cheap FR coupe will have a lot of people sold on it.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm sure Toyota will get the recipe right as well. Now that they'll have these compact coupes in 3 different levels, they'll have that market coverage from the whole. Giving people options like that will work well for them.

I have been long awaiting this..
Garage: '13 Subaru Brz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page