Toyota FT1 Supra Vs who? - Supra FT1 Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
toyotaft1admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toyota FT1 Supra Vs who?

OK, now...

If the FT1 does launch (which it looks like it is) what do you think it will be pegged up against?

Im going to assume the FT1 will be in the 100K price range, so I think it will be lined up with the

GTR
Corvette Z06
Viper

Im only assuming based on affordability. I dont think Toyota will want this to be a 200K car... wouldnt suit their brand.

So give me your thoughts...
toyotaft1admin is offline  
post #2 of 18 Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Josef K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaft1admin View Post
OK, now...

If the FT1 does launch (which it looks like it is) what do you think it will be pegged up against?

Im going to assume the FT1 will be in the 100K price range, so I think it will be lined up with the

GTR
Corvette Z06
Viper

Im only assuming based on affordability. I dont think Toyota will want this to be a 200K car... wouldnt suit their brand.

So give me your thoughts...
I dont think Toyota wants this to be a 100K car either. IF and a MASSIVE if it is the FT1 does make it to production as the MKV Supra, they're going to be much better off playing in the $50-70K sphere. Not only does it hold true to the MKIV Supra's original place in the market, but it would also under cut the rival GTR and NSX...
Josef K is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM
MKV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
$100k range seems right to me. Even better would be a starting price of around $80k
MKV is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
$100k range seems right to me.
$100,000 price range is out of line IMO. This car would obviously sell at first because of the newness but once things settle it will not last long. The reason they stopped selling Supra's in North America is because the price tag was to high and no one wanted to pay that. Another factor is the people whom can actually afford that high of a price tag, in which you are talking about a small percentage of the population, aren't all going to be fanatics. You will have to justify to those buyers why they should purchase a Toyota over lets say a comparable BMW. Reality is they will go with the BMW because it is more of a status symbol than the Toyota is and probably will ever be.
AnthraciteFT-1 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
MKV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You have a point. I think they went for $40-50k back in the 90's, which back then was A LOT, especially once you convert it into today's dollars.

Since $100k is out of line, what do you think it will be priced around?
MKV is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
toyotaft1admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteFT-1 View Post
$100,000 price range is out of line IMO. This car would obviously sell at first because of the newness but once things settle it will not last long. The reason they stopped selling Supra's in North America is because the price tag was to high and no one wanted to pay that. Another factor is the people whom can actually afford that high of a price tag, in which you are talking about a small percentage of the population, aren't all going to be fanatics. You will have to justify to those buyers why they should purchase a Toyota over lets say a comparable BMW. Reality is they will go with the BMW because it is more of a status symbol than the Toyota is and probably will ever be.
Dont know if I fully agree with you. Look at the GTR. Would you take an M3 over a GTR? I certainly wouldn't.

I do understand where you are coming from but look at it like this. The demo for these cars has grown since 97. The Supra has become and Icon, you have guys that are 30-40 that grew up drooling over this car that are now able to possibly afford a new one, and for the price of an M3 or Z06... I would certainly consider this machine depending on the powerplant and bells and whistles it comes with.
toyotaft1admin is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaft1admin View Post
Dont know if I fully agree with you. Look at the GTR. Would you take an M3 over a GTR? I certainly wouldn't.

I do understand where you are coming from but look at it like this. The demo for these cars has grown since 97. The Supra has become and Icon, you have guys that are 30-40 that grew up drooling over this car that are now able to possibly afford a new one, and for the price of an M3 or Z06... I would certainly consider this machine depending on the powerplant and bells and whistles it comes with.
I would take the gt-r as well but again you and I are enthusiasts. Toyota can't think of the small demo when setting price they need the big picture. And to your point about people 30-40 drooling over the supra and now can afford a new one. Well that depends on the price. Again I do ok for myself but I'm not well off by any stretch of the imagination. I could probably purchase one if it is between 50-70 Max but I don't have the disposable income to spend on a $100,000 vehicle. Again most Americans don't. Which was to my point of if you are someone whom can afford that price tag but you aren't a true enthusiast what are you going to buy. If all you care about is I have money and look at me 9/10 times they are probably going to pick the BMW or Mercedes for the status symbol that comes along with that.
AnthraciteFT-1 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
You have a point. I think they went for $40-50k back in the 90's, which back then was A LOT, especially once you convert it into today's dollars.

Since $100k is out of line, what do you think it will be priced around?
If they make multiple versions like before then base model IMO should be 45-50 and then the top model 60-70.
AnthraciteFT-1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a look at gtr sales vs other vehicles in a similar price bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.4 KB, 4 views)
AnthraciteFT-1 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Josef K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I wouldn't take the GTR anyways. Too heavy, too ugly, too over hyped.
Josef K is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off