MKV Supra for 2017? - Supra FT1 Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
MKV Supra for 2017?

German mag AutoZeitung ran a story just yesterday on the BMW/Toyota joint venture that we've come to understand as the Supra project...

Quote:
a source within BMW says that the project is not about a supercar, but rather “an innovative and emotional athlete for larger production.”
The cars will make use of lightweight materials, I suppose this is BMWs big contribution to the project with their CFRP production processes...

Quote:
The car is also said to be sitting extremely low with the driver having an unusually low-positioned instrument panel in his or her field of vision.
Sound familiar?

The BMW project is expected to use a supercharged S55 straight six thats in just about everything BMW. I do wonder if Toyota will also make use of the straight 6, similar to their use of Subarus boxer with the 86/FRS. Straight six and Supra kinda go together right

Its been speculated that the Toyota will come in under 35,000 Euros and the BMW 5-10K more than that..

Even the render seems to be based on the FT-1...
RZ'97 likes this.

Last edited by Josef K; 03-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
post #2 of 23 Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What could 35k Euro's translate to in american dollars? $50k?
post #3 of 23 Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
What could 35k Euro's translate to in american dollars? $50k?
about that, $48,545. But also keep in mind that there is never direct conversion from Europe to NA. Also a point to consider is the big reason cars like the Supra were killed in the first place is because their prices started to creep up into the high 30's and 40's which tapered off demand which made the projects net losers and impossible to fund...

post #4 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i feel like the prestige of the supra will allow it to ask a higher price

the supra back then didn't have as legendary of a name as it does today

the kids that grew up watching the mkiv being sold but couldn't afford it then might be able to afford it now (with the new version)

i always looks at the success of the new GTR as an example. When they announced it everyone said it wouldn't sell for beans. That nobody would buy it.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralover View Post
i feel like the prestige of the supra will allow it to ask a higher price

the supra back then didn't have as legendary of a name as it does today

the kids that grew up watching the mkiv being sold but couldn't afford it then might be able to afford it now (with the new version)

i always looks at the success of the new GTR as an example. When they announced it everyone said it wouldn't sell for beans. That nobody would buy it.
I don't know if looking at the GTR is the best way to go about this. I mean the GTR was never sold stateside so there was a fair bit of fetishizing about it, I think thats a big part of its price tag. Not to mention Nissan is able to keep the project semi profitable by recycling common parts into the GTR program. For instance the platform is simply a beefed up derivative of the FM platform every single Infiniti is on plus the 370Z and the GTR's engine is a reworked VQV6. Those are both staples of the Nissan product portfolio.

Toyota has nothing to go off of right now, plus the collab with BMW is intended to keep prices low, much the same way the GT86 was done with Subaru to keep prices below $25K...
post #6 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The way I see it is it really depends who supplies more components and parts for the FT1. going from that will dictate the price unless both BMW and Toyota will have their own variants using still the same platform. Regardless this thing will be a straight six euro or japanese engineering.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ'97 View Post
The way I see it is it really depends who supplies more components and parts for the FT1. going from that will dictate the price unless both BMW and Toyota will have their own variants using still the same platform. Regardless this thing will be a straight six euro or japanese engineering.
At least with Toyota in the mix we can expect reliability
post #8 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I see this playing out one of two ways. If Toyota does decide to make the FT1 a joint project with BMW I can't see them naming this the next Supra. I can see them making a new name for the car and BMW having their version of the car (like the FT86/FRS/BRZ). Or if Toyota is bringing this as the next Supra, I just can't see them mixing in another brand like BMW to mix in a vehicle that has brought true history to Toyota like what the Supra has.

Personally if BMW is involved in the FT1 production please call it something else. If only Toyota is involved in this then Supra would be a match but still wouldn't mind if they gave it another name. Either way it should be a great car.
mk3motley likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^ I agree with the above. If it is actually named "Supra", I highly doubt (well...hope) there will not be a exact counterpart through BMW, similar to FRS - BRZ.

95 MKIV 6 Spd Hardtop - S375r - ID2000 - E-85 - 1012rwhp

95 M3 LS1/T56 - Custom Headers - Dual Exhaust - Cam - Heads - Fast Intake - Big Brakes - Time Attack
post #10 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3motley View Post
^^^ I agree with the above. If it is actually named "Supra", I highly doubt (well...hope) there will not be a exact counterpart through BMW, similar to FRS - BRZ.
Yes but if Toyota goes at it alone they won't be able to bring an I6 into the mix. Would you still be ok with calling it Supra then?

The thing about the GT86 project is that Toyota would never EVER of been able to offer an AE86 reincarnate without the joint venture. These projects are much too costly and niche for Toyota to fit the bill alone. If they did we really would be looking at a $100K Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page