Toyota & BMW car not FT-1? BMW Confirms Talks with Toyota on Roadster - Supra FT1 Forum
 3Likes

#1 Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

Toyota & BMW car not FT-1? BMW Confirms Talks with Toyota on Roadster

Quote:
As it turns out, recent reports surrounding the death of Mini's Paceman, Coupe and Roadster models appear to have been greatly exaggerated, but on the other hand, the rumors about BMW looking to work together with Toyota on the development of a common platform for roadster models do hold true.

The news comes via BMW sales chief Ian Robertson, who first dismissed the reports about Mini axing its range, stating, "I have no idea where that has come from".

In fact, Peter Schwarzenbauer, the board member responsible for the MINI brand, said the BMW Group's new modular platform for front-wheel drive car could actually lead to the development and production of an even wider range of models for the British automaker.

"There are discussions going on at the moment because the new architecture provides more possibilities," said Schwarzenbauer. "There are a lot of ideas and we are considering how we can have a larger spread."

In regards to roadster models, Robertson said that a business case for two-seater, open top cars for BMW and MINI is becoming "increasingly difficult to make in terms of sales volumes", though, he admitted that, the German automaker is looking into other options, such as sharing development costs with Toyota.

"There are only three markets in the world where you can sell roadsters in any great numbers, Germany, the UK and the United States," explained Robertson. "They don't want them in Asia or Africa or South America and this segment has been under pressure for the past five years."

"We're talking to Toyota - can we have a platform that sits nicely under a roadster? It's possible," he said, adding that BMW and Toyota have been working well together in other areas, such as sharing diesel engines, developing new units, and researching fuel cell vehicles and battery technology.

"It's a good marriage with both parties so strong and we're moving the programme forward," he said.

Robertson did not elaborate on whether the roadster model concerns the Z4, as some reports claim, or a different series in terms of size and cost.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/bmw...toyota-on.html
#2 Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM

SO this means that the Supra is not the model that Toyota is working on with BMW and it also means that we can still expect that BMW/Toyota model tin the future.

I wonder if the design language of the Supra FT1 will be the influence on the design of the Toyota roadster. Or do you think it will be something completely new since it is kind of a one-off project?
#3 Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM

The one BMW and Toyota is working on is probably the small roaster slotted under FR-S.
#4 Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM

So Supra to RC bones. Interesting...

Toyota, I know you're listening, just make sure you make away with BMW's I6 ok...

Sincerely the boys at Supra FT1 Forums
#5 Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scino View Post
The one BMW and Toyota is working on is probably the small roaster slotted under FR-S.
Negative, Toyota and BMW press release from last year confirms it will be a midsize sports car.
#6 Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM

it was never really confirmed that the ft1 was what bmw and toyota was working with in the first place
#7 Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Negative, Toyota and BMW press release from last year confirms it will be a midsize sports car.
yes there was that plus this piece out of germany

Although I do find it interesting that there has never been any mention of a PATFORM, simply that the two will be working together on a joint sports car which leads me to believe that the platform to be used is already in existence and the two of them will be coming together to farkle and gizmo it...
#8 Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralover View Post
it was never really confirmed that the ft1 was what bmw and toyota was working with in the first place
X2, everyone just assumed the BMW & Toyota will be a production FT-1. I'm guessing because of the rumor of FT-1 using BMW's I6?
#9 Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
yes there was that plus this piece out of germany

Although I do find it interesting that there has never been any mention of a PATFORM, simply that the two will be working together on a joint sports car which leads me to believe that the platform to be used is already in existence and the two of them will be coming together to farkle and gizmo it...
There was a report saying it will be a brand new co-developed platform that could be used on multiple other models as well.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11309206...ries-and-gt-86
#10 Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
MKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
X2, everyone just assumed the BMW & Toyota will be a production FT-1. I'm guessing because of the rumor of FT-1 using BMW's I6?
I just fear it being unreliable, BMW's are sort of known for being unreliable. Could this possibly be something Toyota has influence on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page