FT-1 / Supra to Remain RWD and Not Chase Nissan GT-R - Supra FT1 Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FT-1 / Supra to Remain RWD and Not Chase Nissan GT-R

8 month old article but it has good info.

Quote:
Toyota Supra successor to remain rear-wheel drive

Toyota has announced that its long awaited successor to the iconic Supra will be rear-wheel drive, though the nameplate is yet to be locked-in.

The top-tier sports model, which will sit above the 86 in Toyota’s line-up, will share its development with the BMW i8 and may even boast a carbon fibre frame. Though just which nameplate the upcoming sports car will wear is still a bone of contention.

Speaking at a media event in Canberra last week, chief engineer of the 86, Tetsuya Tada, told motoring.com.au that ‘Supra’ was just one of the names considered for the upcoming performance flagship.

“The Supra successor is an upper-crust sportscar, and the Supra name is just one candidate for that successor,” said Tada-san.

Tada-san said the nameplate was before a committee and he could not yet say what others badges were being considered. He did, however, confirm that the model would remain rear-wheel drive and that Toyota was not seeking to chase Nurburgring lap times, a la Nissan GT-R.

“The GT-R is a car that is clearly focussed on speed, on lap times. We don’t want to chase the same direction,” explained Tada-san.

“Toyota’s philosophy is always [one of] fun. Fun is more important to the driver, and I’d prefer the driver sense that enjoyment than [focus on] lap time.”

Driver enjoyment appears to be paramount in the decision to adhere to a rear-wheel drive layout too. Tada-san, the man behind the development of the rear-wheel drive 86 said it was his belief that to enjoy the car to its fullest, that one powertrain layout was only ever under consideration.

“The idea has always been to have rear-wheel drive. It’s the most fun layout,” he laughed.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...el-drive-38128

Last edited by vh_supra26; 03-26-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #2 of 40 Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
It would have been interesting if they planned to make it chase the GT-R. But at least with it not being set to chase the GT-R, it will likely be a cheaper option
post #3 of 40 Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Going off topic, but the R36 is rumored to be a hybrid with 800hp+ with a price tag of $120k+.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/jap...ew-nissan.html

post #4 of 40 Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so we know the toyota flagship will be RWD

we dont know if the flagship Toyota is a Supra of a FT1
post #5 of 40 Old 03-26-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

^Pretty sure it is. Tada san has said 3 sports cars. One below the FR-S and a larger one above it. Using common sense, FT-1 is larger flagship sports car.
mk3motley likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
^Pretty sure it is. Tada san has said 3 sports cars. One below the FR-S and a larger one above it. Using common sense, FT-1 is larger flagship sports car.
Is that just with Toyota or is it with both Toyota and Lexus that they're releasing 3 sports cars under?
post #7 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
Is that just with Toyota or is it with both Toyota and Lexus that they're releasing 3 sports cars under?
He said that about Toyota. But good question. I could see Lexus having three sports cars as well. The RC-F, LC, and if the Toyota/BMW roaster is a Lexus than we have number 3.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
well now TFL is saying that the Supra will be revealed in NYC on April 18th with a heavily rear biased AWD system...

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/04/2016-t...ork-auto-show/

post #9 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 PM

I doubt it though. With everything we've gotten from the few interviews, it feels much more likely to be just a front engine RWD.

Engine-wise, personally, I'm torn between whether id prefer a I6 or a V6. The tech on V6's has come so far these days since its popularity is up now that it's replacing V8s, in some instances. But its design makes it inherently unbalanced. I have a friend that builds engines for Hondas racing teams, and his opinion is that Toyota will go with the I6 since it's a naturally balanced design that doesn't need much to run proper. Also since Toyota probably won't be powering the front wheels they could live with the extra space the I6 takes up vs the V6.

Only time will tell. Regardless of what they use, they'll definitely turn out an amazing machine.

Last edited by Yogi; 04-01-2014 at 11:33 PM.
post #10 of 40 Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
well now TFL is saying that the Supra will be revealed in NYC on April 18th with a heavily rear biased AWD system...

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/04/2016-t...ork-auto-show/
I think they are just giving us an updated version at NYC. Dont think it will be production

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page