DCT and MT? - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
DCT and MT?

Theres a rumor floating around right now that the RC-F could be receiving a new DCT. Theoretically the Supra would use this gear box as well (that is if RC-F and Supra continue to share platform and likley running gear)

IF that is the case could we expect Toyota to offer a DCT and a MT? I know BMW offers both on the M cars, but thats BMW, completely different culture than Toyota...

post #2 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It's hard to say exactly. I think there would be more of a chance of having a manual transmission with the Supra than with the RC F. I think that automakers are trying to move away from manual transmissions, but if there is demand, it must be hard for the company to not include it on a car like the Supra.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do wish they provide both options which would be ideal and keep everyone happy. But if it comes down to Toyota only giving us 1 option I'd have to go with a MT.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why not both? I know that majority of the buyers will be gray-haired people, they are likely need an imaginary hand rowing gear for them.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I'm thinking Scino. As I said the M cars are all still offered with a choice of both, although some think this might be the last of the rowable M cars. Its like Corvette Syndrome, the majority I see are grey haired owned, convertible, autos. If thats the market how low is the take rate going to be on the MT...

Then the question of WHERE will Toyota get one, will it come over as part of the BMW smash up, do they have one in house already (AISIN??)

post #6 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
If they only go with one transmission type it will be automatic. There may be a significant portion of people who prefer manual, but there are people who don't know how to drive manual and Toyota won't want to alienate those people.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know what the sales look like for the FRS/GT-86 regarding Manual vs CVT sales?

I would think Toyota would review this only to help influence if they should offer both or one or the other. Either way I hope you guys are right in them offering both. It would open up the market for more buyers.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
Does anyone know what the sales look like for the FRS/GT-86 regarding Manual vs CVT sales?

I would think Toyota would review this only to help influence if they should offer both or one or the other. Either way I hope you guys are right in them offering both. It would open up the market for more buyers.
I can't say for certain, but I feel its fairly skewed heavily towards the MT. Even so I don't know if the MT/CVT ratio is THAT relevant to MT vs DCT. They are certainly different cups of tea. Although there may be value there as I expect the original owners of the FRS may be the new target for the Supra. Stick with us, we've got a grown up car for you now

post #9 of 21 Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They'll probably offer both. A 6 on the floor and maybe a 7 or 8 speed DCT. I'm on board with the second one, MT is great, but for the Supra I'd like a flappy paddle gearbox.

I'll save the MT for my project FRS
post #10 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Offer both with DCT being optional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page