New Report suggest MKV Supra to get BMW-Sourced Inline-Six - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
New Report suggest MKV Supra to get BMW-Sourced Inline-Six

According to a report coming from Car and Driver, the all-new MKV Supra could become available with a BMW-sourced Inline-Six Cylinder engine.

Quote:
Previewed by the FT-1 concept, the new Toyota Supra is rumored to arrive as a 2018 model with a turbocharged inline-six cylinder engine from BMW providing power. The next-generation sports car is the result of a collaboration between BMW and Toyota, with the German automaker also largely responsible for the Supra’s chassis. As we reported earlier, BMW will use the partnership to create its next Z4, which won’t compete directly with the Supra.

According to the report, Toyota will not only contribute money to the partnership but is sharing some of its inexpensive hybrid technology with BMW. Currently it doesn’t appear that either of the new cars will use hybrid technology, but it is likely that BMW will offer its Z4 with a smaller, four-cylinder engine while Toyota will stick exclusively to the inline-six engine.
post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
where did they get this information from? sounds like they're just churning out rumours from the forums

post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hope that's not the case, a big part of the appeal of the ft1 is it's presumed reliability. e9x rod bearing problems scared me away from what otherwise would have been a dream ride for me!

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It may be a rumor, but I wouldn't be upset if it came to fruition. What other engines do you think are more plausible?

post #5 of 12 Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
MKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbide View Post
hope that's not the case, a big part of the appeal of the ft1 is it's presumed reliability. e9x rod bearing problems scared me away from what otherwise would have been a dream ride for me!
Good point.
When it comes to performance, i was actually looking forward to seeing what they could produce and how well it would perform.
At least this isn't official word, but just rumors.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 PM

One question that should be asked is how many Toyota fans are in favor of buying a Toyota sports car with a BMW engine?

I know some don't like the idea of doing that.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
MKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
One question that should be asked is how many Toyota fans are in favor of buying a Toyota sports car with a BMW engine?

I know some don't like the idea of doing that.
don't want BMW reliability but aside from that I don't mind

as long as it does its job

plus it's not like we'll pop the hood and see BMW on it right away, there might be Toyota things done to it.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
don't want BMW reliability but aside from that I don't mind

as long as it does its job

plus it's not like we'll pop the hood and see BMW on it right away, there might be Toyota things done to it.
what toyota things do you think they'll do to the BMW engine for the supra?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Hmmm, I don't think Toyota should put this engine in the new Supra.. I honestly don't think Toyota should even collaborate with BMW for this car at all.. if Toyota collaborates with anyone, it should be Yamaha, which their teamwork has gotten them great results in the past (2000GT, AE86, LF-A). They're the only company I believe who deserves to work on this car. And another thing too, why put an inline engine on this car? Maybe I sound blasphemous, but this car, should it ever see the production line, would benefit a lot more from a V-engine instead.. I mean even from an engineering standpoint, a V-engine is better since it can cool better, tends to be more planted and rigid in the chassis since they're usually short and wide (Formula 1 for the 2014 season even picked V6 engines in favor of I4's because they wanted it to be the stressed member of the cars); they also give you more ample room to modify (turbocharge, supercharge, etc.) and since they usually sit more centered to the frame will give the car WAY better handling characteristics.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 PM

This is what I think should go in the new FT-1/Supra: starting with the two existing blocks that are used in the Lexus IS (V6) and RC-F (V8), offer two engines which would either be a twin-turbo V6 or an N/A V8, making power that rivals the GT-R, as it should be, since the Mark IV Supra back in the 90's competed with the R34 GT-R, so it only makes sense to develop the FT-1/Supra using the current GT-R or the upcoming R36 model as its benchmark. A customer can also pick between two transmissions: a 7-speed manual transmission for the purists, and an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission for those who wanna go through the gears quicker and haul ass as fast as they can. Another thing too, if this car actually gets to production it ABSOLUTELY CANNOT have a hybrid system. A lot of people are upset that the upcoming R36 GT-R will be a hybrid, and if the new Supra comes out without a hybrid powertrain, it gives the people who can afford it an alternative. It will also keep the car's weight low compared to the GT-R, and that will be another huge advantage, since people have been complaining about the GT-R's weight since the R33 came out. Toyota should develop this car to be powerful, but also lightweight and agile, characteristics that unfortunately the GT-R doesn't have. And that's what will make the car very competitive. And if Toyota can somehow manage to do this while keeping the car similarly priced to the GT-R or a lot less, say $80-90K, then I know for a fact that this car will be a HUGE success.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page