Manual transmission considered for RHD markets - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Manual transmission considered for RHD markets

While it has yet to be confirmed, it looks like Toyota is definitely considering a manual gearbox for the MKV, but with a catch. Rumour has it that this option will initially only be offered to right hand drive markets, specifically in Japan.
Quote:
Speaking to the Australian publication Car Advice in a report last Wednesday, Supra assistant chief engineer, Masayuki Kai, said Toyota has developed a manual gearbox for the car. However, it's only been engineered for right-hand-drive markets. Obviously, the U.S. isn't one of those markets. Kai said the company hasn't made a final decision on whether the Supra will receive the manual transmission and it will depend on market feedback. He added the primary reason for developing the manual transmission was for the Japanese market.
-Motor Authority
post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
At least the gearbox has already been developed. Not like there is anything involved in also placing it in a LHD model. We just need to hope that they see a lot of interest for it in its home country.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2018, 12:24 PM
MKV

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I think there's just no way they'll leave out other markets like the U.S..... maybe initially but on a product made for enthusiasts they can at least start with a small allocation.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You guys are really dead set on a manual gearbox huh? I know that purists prefer to row their own gears, but the DCT is going to be quicker and more efficient.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2018, 06:01 PM
MKV

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDupra View Post
You guys are really dead set on a manual gearbox huh? I know that purists prefer to row their own gears, but the DCT is going to be quicker and more efficient.
After spending some time in a Grand National that only came with an automatic I finally got rid of the burning need to only have a manual.

Do you want better performance or sacrifice that for a more engaging drive?.... I know i'm leaning more towards the former.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think we have confirmed that Toyota has developed one, we just don't know where/if they plan on releasing it. I guess it would make sense for them to wait and see what pre orders are like for the DCT.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
supra has a very powerful vehicle me and my friend is using for long time, have you ever try a long distance car towing with this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page