Toyota's MX-5 rival - Supra FT1 Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Toyota's MX-5 rival

While we all await the arrival of the new Supra, I thought it was worth looking at some other sports cars that Toyota may have in the pipeline. There is a good chance that the range topping Supra will only be part 2 of a new sports car series from the brand. According to Tetsuya Tada, the company is also planning an entry level coupe, below the 86. The car isn't expected to show up until 2020, but it could look something like this.
post #2 of 11 Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That's a great looking rendering, and I hope that something similar ends of being a part of their new lineup. To be honest they could probably get away with simply updating the 86, because I feel like its been heavily underutilized. It would be such a better vehicle with some additional power.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-07-2018, 01:21 PM
MKV

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I like that this rendering included a targa top because although the original 86 never had it and neither does the new one, the new MX-5 has it and gets great feedback.
Toyota will need it to appeal to a wider demographic.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I really like this design and there is no denying that a whole has been left by the S2000. I'm a little surprised that Honda isn't considering revamping it with some kind of electrification. Perhaps its a legacy that they think is best left alone.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It's been more than a decade since we last saw the S2000, so I think it would be too much of an investment to bother reintroducing it now. Especially with electric models just on the horizon, we'll probably see that gap filled with a performance/sports EV.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2018, 01:06 PM
MKV

Acura did have a concept for something that rivals the Alfa 4C. If released it could help to give Acura the spotlight they need. The new NSX did it but didn't last long.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well the new Supra is probably the reason why we haven't seen Toyota make any significant changes to the 86 over the past few years. Though I find it a bit surprising that they want to place something below it. What can they really deliver on something with <200hp.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 PM
MKV

Disagree.

86 was always an entry level sport car that met basic needs and always will. From the start that was the intention so much it was engineered to be modified and personalized.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
But the point here is that the 86 wont be the low end model anymore if Toyota's plans for 3 new sports cars is indeed true.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2018, 03:06 PM
MKV

Yeah I won't mind something smaller, RWD that still can perform well. Nissan talked about this years ago and soon after released a concept, the iDX....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page