My Newest Supra Theory: RC to the Rescue - Supra FT1 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My Newest Supra Theory: RC to the Rescue

Ok so today I want to go in a different direction than we have explored to date. It may take some assumptions on our part but I'm confident you guys are capable.

So we know Toyota and BMW are working on SOMETHING together, what remains to be seen, regardless lets work off a popular assumption that BMW and Toyota are not in fact working on the next Supra but an entirely separate project likely for Lexus. BMW has come out and said that while they are working on a project with Toyota the platform under the FT-1 concept is not in fact their joint venture. Fine, its a concept anyways, but that did get me thinking what is the FT-1 on?

While unable to directly confirm what exactly the FT-1 rides on, considering BMW's insistence that the FT-1 is not linked to them in anyway the next logical assumption is that the FT-1 is actually using a platform borrowed from the Lexus RC. The RC is based on a shortened Toyota S platform which also sees use under the GS, IS and Toyota Crown, considering the copious use this platform has already seen its fair to assume its well past its payback for Toyota. In mentioning the RC I think its necessary to say that the RC is successor to the defunct Lexus SC, and not the tepid SC roadster, but the original coupe. What makes this point salient is that the SC was ALWAYS based on the MKIV Supras architecture, so in reincarnating the SC as the RC I think we have to consider the possibility that the MKV Supra will be making use of the shortened Toyota S platform as well.

So in using a paid back chassis would bring development costs well down and could even facilitate a starting MSRP of under $40K. I can hear you now asking about motivation, consider this quip from BMW:

Quote:
"We're talking to Toyota - can we have a platform that sits nicely under a roadster? It's possible," he said, adding that BMW and Toyota have been working well together in other areas, such as sharing diesel engines, developing new units, and researching fuel cell vehicles and battery technology.

"It's a good marriage with both parties so strong and we're moving the programme forward," he said.
If Toyota and BMW are in fact engine sharing, would it not be completely feasible to see the MKV Supra based on the Toyota S platform just like the Lexus RC using BMW straight six motivation?

Crystal Reed likes this.
post #2 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There really isn't anything new about this. Its been stated time and time again that the FT-1 will most likely underpin the RC because the length and wheelbase of the two are very similar.

FT-1
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Length: 184.1 in

Width: 77.6 in
Height: 48.2 in

Lexus RC
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 184.8 in

Width: 72.4 in
Height: 54.9 in
post #3 of 17 Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Yea I don't read anything that is that controversial in this. The dimensions are so similar that I would be surprised if the two were not riding on the same platform. And when you consider that it makes sense from a cost minimization standpoint, it seems near certainty.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
no one is trying to be controversial here, what we're trying to do is figure out what exactly is going on. Considering we've seen price theorys bandied about in the media everywhere from $50-100K I wanted to look at how they could focus on the low end of the scale.

I know many of us would like the Supra to be a C7 Rival, but I just don't think its going to happen. I think Supra is going to reincarnate the whole Japanese Muscle thing, closer to the Mustang GT and Camaro SS than it is to the C7. Because you have to figure that anything to serious from the Supra camp is going to trod on the RC-F's toes and I really dont think Toyota wants people substituting the Supra for the higher priced RC-F...

post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You have a point about the RC possibly being the SC successor but I really hope that's not what it actually is. Basing the now and future off of the past is a good way to suggest what they're doing but it's possible they are changing thing around a bit, we just need to see what else Lexus comes out with, if they even have plans for a coupe that sits between the RC and LFA, which would of course be a great thing.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think in terms of pricing

everything is a guess until it becomes official....
post #7 of 17 Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
no one is trying to be controversial here, what we're trying to do is figure out what exactly is going on. Considering we've seen price theorys bandied about in the media everywhere from $50-100K I wanted to look at how they could focus on the low end of the scale.

I know many of us would like the Supra to be a C7 Rival, but I just don't think its going to happen.
I think Supra is going to reincarnate the whole Japanese Muscle thing, closer to the Mustang GT and Camaro SS than it is to the C7. Because you have to figure that anything to serious from the Supra camp is going to trod on the RC-F's toes and I really dont think Toyota wants people substituting the Supra for the higher priced RC-F...
Quote:
Nonetheless, the starting point for the FT-1 was a theoretical car with a real-world price tag between $50,000 and $60,000, said Kevin Hunter, president of the Calty Design Research studio in Newport Beach, Calif., where the car was designed.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...re-sports-car#

That is C7 pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
You have a point about the RC possibly being the SC successor but I really hope that's not what it actually is. Basing the now and future off of the past is a good way to suggest what they're doing but it's possible they are changing thing around a bit, we just need to see what else Lexus comes out with, if they even have plans for a coupe that sits between the RC and LC, which would of course be a great thing.
The LFA is no longer in production.

I have a feeling the BMW/Toyota car will be the SC replacement.

BMW Confirms Talks with Toyota on Roadster

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/bmw...toyota-on.html
post #8 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM
MKV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Interesting. Do you think the Lexus LF-LC concept will have any of it's design cue's or anything of it on the next SC?
Seems like the LF-LC was in a way the SC Concept.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
Interesting. Do you think the Lexus LF-LC concept will have any of it's design cue's or anything of it on the next SC?
Seems like the LF-LC was in a way the SC Concept.
I don't think it will have much to do with being a "new SC". The LF-LC is reported to be built on the LS platform. It is a luxury cope. It looks like it will compete with cars like the Mercedes CL (S-Class coupe) and rumored BMW 8-Series.

On the other hand the BMW/Toyota midsize roadster could be a be a new SC or SC replacement.

post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The RC-F should be a real performer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Supra FT1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page